Creating a Vibrant Live/Work/Play Environment in the Core of Our City
Our GoalWork with business, government, and community partners to revitalize and transform Downtown Albuquerque into the vibrant heart of our city – an area that is exciting, engaging, welcoming, and safe for businesses, residents, and visitors alike
Our Core Beliefs
The Chamber’s Downtown Transformation Policy Planks:
- Reduce the prevalence of homelessness and crime in Downtown Albuquerque
- Revitalize and renew historical buildings, routes, and spaces
- Explore new transformational projects and attractions for the downtown area
Progress and Initiatives
- Organize support for the siting and construction of a sports arena in Downtown that would serve as the home arena for New Mexico United and be used for other sporting events, concerts, markets, and entertainment.
- Work with City leaders and private developers to secure funding, public support, and government authorization to build a nearly 9-mile multi-modal trail connecting key parts of the greater downtown area (see above) and spurring the construction of new hotels, restaurants, and shops.
- Seek funding to continue the renovation, rebuilding, and renewal of the Rail Yards into an anchor amenity in Downtown Albuquerque, with iconic meeting and event spaces, trendy shopping and dining opportunities, and entertainment.
- Urge City leaders to regularly transport those who are homeless in Downtown Albuquerque to the new 24/7 “Gateway” shelter and service center for the homeless, and continue to advocate for the deployment of crime-fighting technology and additional police officers in the downtown area.
The Chamber has also developed public safety recommendations to enhance the viability of downtown, especially after business hours, when residents and visitors would be more likely to be in the area.
- Create a downtown public safety district with a Deputy Chief of Police
- Install a police substation at the Alvarado Transportation Center
- Increase the number of assigned officers downtown
- Address homelessness and related needs through outreach and crisis intervention
- Construct a 24/7 shelter and expand housing vouchers and addiction resources
- Step up garbage collection, as well as expand efforts to eradicate graffiti quickly
Learn more about how to support the downtown transformation.
The Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce is committed to revitalizing our city’s iconic downtown. To learn more about our lobbying and other efforts toward that end, contact the Chamber today.