Advocate for and help implement local and state-level policies and practices that will result in a reduction in crime in Bernalillo County and a tough, strategic, fair, and sophisticated criminal justice system.
Our Core Beliefs:
The Chamber’s Public Safety Policy Planks:
- Increase the number of police officers and prosecutors in Albuquerque and improve community-based crime-fighting
- Ensure Albuquerque has a well-trained, professional police department; support APD in satisfying the DOJ settlement agreement
- Improve the use of data, analytics, and technology to make policing and prosecution more strategic and intelligence-driven
- Reform criminal justice practices: improve the efficiency of case processing, better address behavioral health challenges, and ensure criminals face swift/certain punishment
Progress and Initiatives
- The Chamber applied for and won a $1.2 million federal grant to produce two new high-tech crime-fighting tools in Bernalillo County.
- The tools will improve the identification of serious offenders, help prosecutors prioritize their prosecution in key ways early in the life of a case, and create the first-ever electronic case packaging and referral system in our state – improving the quality of prosecuted cases, reducing case dismissals, and increasing convictions.
- Swifter, certain prosecution will put criminals on notice and drive crime rates down.
- The Chamber is working with a local data science firm, RS21, and the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology to develop the tools.
- Chamber-backed legislation passed in 2020 will increase penalties for using a firearm in the commission of a crime and for felons possessing a firearm.
- The Chamber joined the City of Albuquerque in securing over $12.5 million in capital funding to address public safety challenges.
- The funding will pay for license plate readers, new fingerprinting and crime scene investigation equipment, dispatch and data systems, and police vehicles.
- In the 2020 session, the D.A.’s Crime Strategies Unit was made permanent.
- This team of crime analysts, investigators, and prosecutors focuses on taking down criminal networks, and has helped capture violent gun criminals and used forensic genealogy to identify and convict a cold case rapist.
Learn more about the Public Safety Initiatives
We invite you to learn more about the public safety initiatives of the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce and encourage you to contact us with any questions or suggestions you may have.