Advocate for and help implement local and state-level policies and practices that will result in a reduction in crime in Bernalillo County and a tough, strategic, fair, and sophisticated criminal justice system.
Our Core Beliefs:
The Chamber’s Public Safety Policy Planks:
- Increase the number of police officers and prosecutors in Albuquerque and improve community-based crime-fighting
- Ensure Albuquerque has a well-trained, professional police department; support APD in satisfying the DOJ settlement agreement
- Improve the use of data, analytics, and technology to make policing and prosecution more strategic and intelligence-driven
- Reform criminal justice practices: improve the efficiency of case processing, better address behavioral health challenges, and ensure criminals face swift/certain punishment
Progress and Initiatives
New “Case Catcher” Technology
- Fully build and deploy a new crime-fighting tool that will improve early-stage prosecution decisions and the quality of criminal cases, reduce dismissals and delays, bring defendants to swifter and more certain justice, and increase guilty pleas and conviction rates.
Pre-Trial Release of Serious Offenders
- Raise concerns about the release of dangerous, repeat, and well-connected offenders while they await trial
- Urge courts to use pre-trial detention authority more often
- Push for pre-trial release/detention policy changes
More Officers Doing More Police Work
- Support efforts to recruit more officers to Albuquerque
- Oppose attempts to defund the police and policies that would hinder recruitment
- Encourage local collaboration with federal law enforcement agencies to attack crime
- Ensure the City’s new community safety department accomplishes its goal of allowing officers more time to deal with serious crime challenges
- Continue securing funding for – and push for the deployment of – new technology across Albuquerque to catch violent and serial property criminals, including license plate readers and shot spotters
Learn more about the Public Safety Initiatives
We invite you to learn more about the public safety initiatives of the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce and encourage you to contact us with any questions or suggestions you may have.